Friday, January 15, 2010

Comforts

I had a post ready to roll on Meyer Lemons.  But it does seem ridiculous now.  Everything seems frivolous after watching Haiti crumble. 

I am very much thinking about the abundance that surrounds me.  Husband, 2 kids, warm house.  Just the basics.  I did go through the Loma Prieta earthquake here in the Bay Area 20 years ago and remember the horror.  I didn't sleep for many weeks, and each after shock renewed the terror  That period seemed to go on forever - even though we had very little damage to our house.

I'm making chicken stock.  I make chicken stock for a million reasons.  It's soothing work.  I feel very safe while making it.  The house smells wonderful.  A freezer full of home-made stock is all it takes to make me feel very rich.  Try it.  It's completely intuitive, but if a recipe is required, so be it.


Chicken Stock

The carcass from a previously roasted chicken
or
chicken parts and bones (don't waste the breast - use wings, legs.  My butcher give me endless bones from the breasts he has fileted)
a few carrots
an onion, peeled and cut in half (or a leek or 2)
a stalk or 2 of celery
parsley
you can add bay leaf, thyme, garlic, a touch of curry powder (thanks ChezPim for that one) but these are just extras
Cover all with water plus an extra inch or 2 of water
Salt and pepper

simmer for 2 - 4 hours depending on your patience and need to eat said soup asap.
You can skim or not - I never do.

There.  Feeling rich yet?


1 comment:

  1. I remember returning to my hometown of Santa Cruz after that '89 earthquake. Lots of damage but nothing like Haiti. I think we ate our own version of comfort food then: tamales. Thanks for stopping by my blog and good luck with what promises to be an interesting ride!

    ReplyDelete